Hitachi VSP Midrange Crushes Dell Enterprise Storage
Not all midrange storage systems are created equal.
Hitachi VSP E Series Midrange vs. Dell PowerMax 8500
VSP E1090 and E790 both outperform Dell’s PowerMax 8500.
VSP E1090 vs. Dell PowerMax and PowerStore
Hitachi VSP E1090 midrange storage outperforms both Dell midrange PowerStore and high-end PowerMax 8000 for SQL workloads.
Raise the bar not the budget with VSP E Series
Benchmark comparison shown:
- Hitachi VSP 5600 running ORION 8KB RR – No ADR. Full configuration available in Hitachi reports.
- DellPowerMax 8500 running VDBench unspecified block size w/2:1 & dedupe. Principled Technologies report lacks PowerMax node count, cache size and other specifics tested.
- Hitachi VSP E1090 & VSP E790 using ORION 8KB RR – No ADR. Full configuration available in reports.
- Dell PowerMax 8500 running VDBench unspecified block size w/2:1 & dedupe. PT report lacks node count and cache size tested.
- Dell documents claim their ADR implementation “provides negligible performance impact.”
- Principled Technology states “ We ran the test to achieve maximum performance, collecting IOPS and latency data from both storage solutions.”
Source referenced documents:
- https://www.principledtechnologies.com/Dell/PowerMax-8500-competitive-0922.pdf (Commissioned by Dell)
- All Hitachi VSP E Series and VSP 5000 Series models are Carbon Footprint Certified.
- All Hitachi VSP E Series models deliver higher IOPS per watt compared to any Dell PowerStore model.
- Hitachi VSP E1090 ranked number 1 in *Energy Star Midrange Storage Platforms over every other storage vendor in the midrange market.
- Hitachi’s manufacturing process, platform upgrade program and system architecture contribute to Hitachi’s end to end environmental strategy.
*Disk Online 4 category as of March 2023